On-campus Paratransit Service is available seven days a week for students, faculty and staff with disabilities. In addition, all Intercampus and Commuter Bus routes are accessible.
Service Information and Policies
Accessible on-campus Paratransit service is provided by UIC Transportation Services. However, approval must be obtained from the appropriate university office prior to requesting service.
The Paratransit Service operates within the following general boundaries:
- Halsted Street on the East
- Eisenhower Expressway on the north
- Western Avenue on the west
- Roosevelt Road on the south
Services are also extended to include the Chemical Engineering Building.
Passengers who wish to schedule regular appointments for the week must provide a written request or e-mail to Transportation services by the Thursday prior to the start of the week. Schedules may be e-mailed to Rides@uic.edu or faxed to (312) 996-0165.
Please provide the following information:
Also, please inform the dispatcher if an attendant will accompany you.
- Your name
- Pick-up day and time
- Pick-up location and destination
- Contact information (i.e. telephone number, e-mail, fax)
- Whether wheelchair accessibility is needed
- Any other accommodation requirements
Rides are scheduled upon availability. While dispatchers will make every possible attempt to accommodate your requested time, please be aware that scheduling conflicts may occur. Flexibility in your requests will aid in scheduling a ride for you.
Scheduled rides take precedence over additional (non-regularly scheduled) ride requests. Transportation Services will make every attempt to accommodate additional ride requests made by authorized Paratransit Service users. However, the provision of additional rides is contingent upon driver and vehicle availability.
- Requests can be made on an as-needed basis with optimal lead call time of one (1) hour.
- For Paratransit Service between the hours of 7:00 A.M. and 11:00 P.M, please call Transportation Services at (312) 996-2842.
- For Paratransit Service between the hours of 11:00 P.M. and 7:00 A.M., Please call the Red Car Service at (312) 996-6800.
- For Paratransit Service on Saturdays and/or Sundays: Requests must be made by 5:00 P.M. the Thursday prior.
Please arrange to be at the designated pick up site at least five (5) minutes prior to the scheduled pick up. In an effort to maintain scheduled services, drivers are not required to wait for more than ten (10) minutes after the scheduled pick up time.
An authorized individual may have a companion on the trip.
- The additional riders are limited to one per trip.
- The companion may not displace other ADA paratransit-eligible individuals.
- The companion must have the same origin and destination point.
- The authorized individual must reserve a space for the companion for all trips.
Cancellations and No-Shows
In order to maximize availability of services it is important for riders to use the Paratransit Service responsibly. Failure to responsibly cancel rides could result in others being denied service unnecessarily. Users are urged to cancel as soon as they know a scheduled ride is not needed.
- To cancel a ride, please call at least one (1) hour before your scheduled pick-up time or you will be recorded as a no-show.
If a passenger does not show up for a scheduled pick-up or cancels a scheduled ride less than one hour before their scheduled pick-up, it will be recorded as a no-show.
- When a no-show occurs involving a return ride, the return ride must be reconfirmed with Transportation Services otherwise it will automatically be cancelled. Please remember this request will be based on availability.
- If a requestor has three (3) consecutive no-shows or 25% of no-shows in a semester, the requestor’s privileges may be suspended for a determined time period.
Boarding & Securing Wheelchair and Mobility Devices
For the safety of all passengers and drivers we require the following:
- All wheelchairs be facing outward when loaded on the wheelchair lift.
- All wheelchairs and mobile assistive devices must be properly secured.
- The use of lap belts and shoulder harnesses are recommended.
Drivers have been instructed to board and secure all wheelchairs accordingly prior to moving the bus. If a passenger refuses to board properly or allow the wheelchair to be secured as specified, we will be forced to refuse service.
In case of lift failure, a back-up van is available. The driver is required to contact the dispatch office and communicate information and instructions to the waiting passenger before continuing with route.
Transportation Services is available to answer any inquiries you may have regarding Paratransit Service.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to call (312) 996-2842.